- 250 gr. wholewheat spelt four
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (good quality)
- pinch of salt
- 75 gr. coconut blossom sugar
- 100 ml. coconut oil melted (or canola oil)
- 150 ml. maple syrup (or date syrup)
- 4 medium sized carrots peeled and grated
- 120 ml. water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed or chia seed mixed with 4tbsp of water)
Start by peeling and grating the carrots in a bowl. (fine or coarse, whatever you prefer). Mix in in a second bowl the spelt flour, the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger powder, vanilla powder and the sugar. Stir to mix everything evenly. Prepare the flax eggs.
Mix the grated carrots with the melted coconut oil, the water, the maple syrup and the vinegar. Stir with the spatula until its mixed well and pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Use a spatula to stir until the flour is well incorporated. Cover a cake baking tray with baking paper and pour the batter in. To spread the batter throughout, lift the tray with both hands on either side and knock the bottom softly on the counter a few times. Place in a pre-heated oven (180℃) and bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean of the middle of the cake.
Decorate by tapping a sieve with powder sugar over the top and serve.
- serves 12 slices approx.
- prep. time 15 minutes, baking time 50 minutes