- 3 or 4 stalks rhubarb rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup Puy lentils rinsed
- 1 tbsp of minced ginger
- 3-4 cloves of (black) minced garlic
- 4 cardamom pods (slightly bruised)
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp fresh grounded black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or more for more spiciness)
- sea salt to taste
- splash of Maple syrup too taste
- chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
Heat some coconut (or other vegetable oil) in a saucepan on medium high heat. Add mustard seeds and roast until they pop. Add ginger and garlic and fry until golden-brown. Add chili flakes and cook for another few seconds, until fragrant.
Add the rhubarb and the Puy lentils and then add water to cover by about 2 cm. Add a tealeaf egg with the cardamom pods and the cloves in it (If you do not have one just add them to the water and take them out before serving). Make sure they are covered in the water. Cook at a steady simmer until lentils and rhubarb are soft. This will take approx. 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the cardamom pods and cloves. Add sea salt, taste and add maple syrup. Taste again and adjust seasoning if needed. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
I combined it with rice.
- serves: 2-3
- preparation time: 45 minutes